Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bullies All Around Them

Reading my daughter's note to her teachers reminds me that over the years I have seen many forms of bullying in the schools (not to mention the buses!), and we must spend time teaching our children to fend for themselves even if it's just disregarding hurtful comments. Some children, like my daughter, are extremely sensitive and don't even want to share with me what made her cry in school. She was always afraid I'd do something to further embarass her or draw attention to her lack of intelligence. She is only now, in 8th grade, able to even form the words which describe her hell at school.

It's a hard knock life for all special needs kids. People who think they get what they need in the schools are really missing the whole issue. Left and right these kids are falling in between the cracks, many times because they aren't yet up to the struggle, many times because they get tired of the fight, many times because they actually believe they are stupid.

God bless the teachers and counselors who look out for them.

No comments: