Tuesday, September 9, 2008

First Wreck

My 16 yr old son who suffers from Asperger's had an accident today - his first. As he swung his car into a parking slot at the dentist's office, he hit the bumper of a parked van.

There were so many blessings - nobody in van, nobody hurt, on private property, so he didn't have to bear interrogations by the police, and the mother who was very understanding.

STILL, he was very upset for several hours tearing up that first hour, convinced he would get arrested, his dad would take the car away, he would lose his license, etc. A couple of hours later and at home, I glanced out the kichen window and announced, "They're here!" because my 23 yr old son and his girlfriend had arrived for supper. Timmy thought the police had arrived to take him away....

If it weren't so sad, I would laugh. Just when I thought he was doing so good (and he IS!), and I didn't have to worry so, I see how easy it is for him to be blindsided into a confused state.

They are never too old for their mama.

No comments: